Introducing QualityLogic’s IEEE 1547.1 Test Tools
With the recent approval and adoption of IEEE 1547.1-2020 and the update expected for UL 1741, for the first time the inverter industry has an opportunity to standardize its communications interactions with grid operators. QualityLogic plans to leverage its IEEE 2030.5 test tools, which already support messaging between grid operators and advanced inverters of the IEEE 1547-2018 functionality, to support the full breadth of functional and certification testing of advanced inverters.
The most important value of the toolset is the automation of the IEEE 1547.1/UL 1741 testing process. Current UL 1741SA testing can take weeks of time to complete all the set-up, testing, and analysis required and the updated UL 1741 SB testing is expected to take even more additional time. By automating much of the process using QualityLogic’s 1547.1 test tools, significant time savings can be realized and your product can get to market faster.
1547.1 Interoperability Webinar
IEEE 1547-2018 Interoperability Requirements: The Coming Revolution in DER Integration
To help guide utilities, vendors, and consultants on the development and implementation of IEEE 1547-2018, QualityLogic hosted a free 1-hour webinar that you can rewatch by clicking the link below. This webinar focused on the new IEEE 1547 Interoperability requirements: why, what, how, and when.
IEEE 1547.1 Interoperability Tests
IEEE 1547.1 test standard defines Interoperability Tests that require the use of a DER communication protocol to configure and manage the target DER device. Using the supported protocol, a set of tests are defined that validate the DER device for interoperability.
- DER Communication Protocol – IEEE 2030.5, IEEE 1815 (DNP3) or SunSpec Modbus are the supported protocols for DER devices to be supported. One of these protocols must be supported by the target DER device under test as a local communication interface.
- Nameplate Data Tests – Verifies that a set of nameplate data can be read from the target DER using one of the three supported protocols.
- Configuration Information Tests – Verifies that a set of DER settings can be read and adjusted using one of the three supported protocols. The DER settings will be independently compared to the reported values from the connected test equipment.
- Monitoring Information Tests – Verifies that a set of DER monitored data can be reported by the DER using one of the three supported protocols. The monitored data will be independently compared to the reported values from the connected test equipment.
- Management Information Tests – Verifies that a set of grid support functions are able to be communicated through the use of the supported DER communication protocol and that the desired effect be implemented by the target DER as the power level. These tests leverage the 1547.1 Type tests that are defined for the required grid support functions.
- Constant Power Factor Mode
- Voltage-Reactive Power Mode
- Active Power-Reactive Power Mode
- Constant Reactive Power Mode
- Voltage-Active Power Mode
- Voltage Trip Test
- Frequency Trip Test
- Frequency Droop Test
- Enter Service and Cease to Energize and Trip Tests
- Limit Maximum Active Power Test
- New IEEE 1547.1 FTS – Supports the IEEE 1547.1 Interoperability Tests Section 6 – Includes support for Nameplate Data test, Configuration Information Test, Monitoring Information Test, and Management Information Test sections.
- DER Protocols – Supports the 2030.5 resources and messaging required by each of the IEEE 1547.1 Interoperability tests with the target DER. SunSpec Modbus and DNP3 supported based on customer’s interests.
- Test Equipment Automation – Each 1547.1 FTS test case remotely controls and monitors the list of required Test Equipment. Customers have the ability to add their own test equipment by adding their own scripts.
- Analysis of Test Results: To the extent feasible with IEEE 1547.1 testing, the 1547.1 FTS will support analysis of the test results to determine pass/fail or provide support to the test engineer making the determination.
- End to End Testing – 1547.1 FTS performs end to end testing where the DER is configured and managed through the selected DER Protocol while the power-based testing and verification performed in an automated fashion.
- Scripting Support – 1547.1 FTS test tool allows the use of python scripts to modify the test behavior and to add other test equipment automation.
- Data Collection – Precise data collection from the data analyzer/collector is key to measuring and analyzing the DER device’s behavior based on the IEEE 1547.1 tests.
- Customizable 1547.1 Test Values – Enables the user to modify the test values that are used during testing, such as the values that are used during each grid code test.
QualityLogic 1547.1 FTS automates the DER protocol messaging to the smart inverters and remotely manages the various test equipment required to perform 1547.1 based tests.